- What determines true “womanliness” or “femininity”?
- How much does the visual appearance (“masquerade”) of a woman alter the way people perceive her as womanly or feminine?
- Does a woman’s makeup and clothing change the way people perceive a woman’s lifestyle or “worth”?
The following excerpts are from Nicholas Mirzoeff’s “The Visual Culture Reader”:
- Judith Butler— “genuine womanliness and the ‘masquerade’…they are the same thing” (149)
- Guy Debord— “the spectacle… is a social relationship between people that is mediated by images” (142)
Undergraduate college students (men and women)
Interview two men and two women in which each person interviewed is shown one picture of a woman with no makeup wearing asexual clothing then a second picture of the same woman with makeup and wearing feminine clothing
- On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the least and 10 being the most, how womanly or feminine would you consider this person?
- How much money do you think this woman makes?
- Do you think she is currently in a relationship, dating or married?